Sunday, January 19, 2014

Fun With Ceramics and New Shop Items!

I've had such an exciting weekend!

Saturday was a red-letter day for two reasons: First, because I got to read to a bunch of cute kiddies during storytime at the local children's museum.  And second, because the clay figurines I'd made a few weeks earlier had finally emerged from their final firing in the kiln!

The idea originated after I sculpted a few gnome friends out of polymer clay.  Evan had just repotted some of the plants my dad had given him back in August, and I thought it might be nice to have a groundskeeper around to keep an eye on things.



But of course I couldn't stop at just one...

So then came the traveling gnome.



The polymer clay was very easy to work with, and it afforded some great texture and detail.  But the pieces felt too fragile, and the acrylic paint and finish just not fit to withstand life in moist dirt, let alone on the road.

What I really hoped for was a gnome better suited for a life of adventure.  Durable enough to tag along in a pocket, and with a waterproof glaze that could tolerate the elements.

Thankfully, the nice lady at the paint-your-own pottery shop in downtown Winchester was kind enough to indulge my gnome fantasies by selling me a pound of clay and tediously loading and firing all of my tiny creations (twice!).

I now have eight, one-of-a-kind ceramic gnomes, ready to venture out and see the world!

There are, however, a few minor details to which we must tend before I can send them on their merry ways (personal identification cards, travel documents etc.) ...But I'm hoping they'll be ready for their Etsy debut by the end of the week!

In the meantime, you can take a look at these other ceramic friends I made.  They are available now at my Etsy Shop!

Here's Bonnie Bluebird.

 
And this is Sprinkles.


 And here's a tiny house.  Just because :-)


Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to check back soon for more gnome updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment